Animal Craze
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**Are Sugar Gldiers the Right Pet for Me?**

Go down

**Are Sugar Gldiers the Right Pet for Me?** Empty **Are Sugar Gldiers the Right Pet for Me?**

Post by Oakley Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am

As first posted on Oakley's Glider Site Facebook Page

Sugar gliders are marsupials (think kangaroo) which means that they have a pouch where their joeys (babies) develop. Many people refer to them as flying squirrels but they are NOT rodents although they do look alike. Sugar gliders are native to the forests of Australia, New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.

There are many things to consider before you purchase a sugar glider.

• Sugar gliders can live up to fifteen years in captivity; are you willing to make that commitment?
  • Sugar gliders have very special dietary needs, this means you have to find a good diet to feed them and stick with it! I suggest using the HPW Plus or Complete diet.
  • Sugar gliders are naturally social animals, they should not be kept alone, and need plenty of time with their owner each day.
  • Sugar gliders are nocturnal (awake at night), which is why it is important to have 2 or more.
  • Although they are nocturnal, you should spend time with your glider during the day. They like to be snuggled up in a pouch during the daytime while they sleep and having a zippered bonding pouch makes it easy to take them with you wherever you go. They are so small and quiet during the daytime, that most people will not even be aware that you have them with you.

If you are seriously considering adopting a sugar glider as your new companion, please do a LOT of research in advance. Please read through the sites listed below and ask as many questions as you like. There is a lot of good information available on the internet, but make sure you're finding the most reputable sources for your information.

Take care,

Oakley
Oakley
Oakley
Dry Humpee!
Dry Humpee!

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-07-28

http://www.oakleysglidersite.com

Back to top Go down