**Buying A Sugar Glider**

View previous topic View next topic Go down

**Buying A Sugar Glider**

Post by Oakley on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

As first posted on Oakley's Glider Site Facebook Page

Buying a sugar glider is a big decision to make. This is a pet that can be a part of your life for the next 15 years if you take care of him properly. That said, there are a few things that are important to keep in mind when buying a sugar glider.

NUMBER 1: TWO GLIDERS ARE BETTER THAN ONE

First and foremost, you should never buy a single glider with the intention to keep them alone. There are people who do this, and although gliders can thrive and be healthy on their own, they are infinitely happier when they are in pairs. With that in mind, try to get your gliders from the same breeder so that you do not have to go through introductions once you bring them home.

NUMBER TWO: WHAT BREEDER SHOULD I USE?

When looking for a breeder, it is VERY important to ask a few key questions. The top questions to ask are:

- How many gliders do you own?

- How much time a day do you spend with each of your gliders?

- What diet do you feed and why?

- Who is your vet? May I call him or her?

- Do you have lineages on all of your gliders? May I see them?

- May I come visit your home and see where and how you keep your gliders?

If you are concerned with the answer to any of these questions, you may want to consider finding another breeder. No good breeder would be uncomfortable answering any of these questions.

NUMBER 3: JOEYS OR ADULTS?

Sometimes, it can be hard deciding whether you want to buy a joey or rescue/re-home an adult. I'm going to keep the answer to this simple, but keep in mind that every situation is unique. If you are a first-time glider owner, find a good breeder that you trust and buy two joeys from them. This is the easiest way to become a good glider owner with little stress and happy gliders is to get joeys. On the other hand, rescuing/re-homing can be a very rewarding experience and should be done only by those with sugar glider experience. DO NOT decide to get an older/adult glider because it's cheaper. If you cannot afford their purchase price, you will not be able to afford their cage, accessories, food, and vet care. Wait until you are a little more financially secure before you buy a glider.

NUMBER 4: WHAT DO I NEED TO BE PREPARED?

I'm going to make this one a list to keep it short:

- A glider-knowledgeable veterinarian

- A cage that is at least 18" deep x 30" wide x 36" tall

- A cage set made of fleece (cage pouch, hammocks, tunnels, etc)

- A safe zippered bonding pouch

- Everything you need to make the diet you decide to go with

- An emergency kit containing:

cotton balls, Q-tips, corn starch, hand sanitizer, hand wipes, K-Y Jelly, Neosporin, nail clippers, tweezers, scissors, gauze pads, an e-collar, duck tape, vet wrap, needle-less syringes (1 and 3 cc), hand warmers, microwave heating pad, cut fleece blankets, tissues, pop up hospital cage, 2 saline solution syringes, flavorless Pedialyte

NUMBER 5: BRINGING YOUR GLIDER HOME

So you've done your research, bought everything you need to, asked your breeder a MILLION questions, seen a ton of pictures of your babies, counted down the days to pick-up, and now the day is finally here! When you go to pick up your joeys, be sure to listen to what the breeder has to say, it can be tempting to grab your little ones and rush to get them home, but spend a little time talking to the breeder and getting to know your new joeys while they are still in a familiar place. When you do get on the road to go home, DO NOT take your joeys out in the car. As tempting as it may be, this will just cause more stress than needed, and they may even get lost in your car if they become frightened and run away. Once you are home, put them into a cage pouch with a fleece blanket that you should have gotten from your breeder that smells like their old home and parents. Here's the hard part.... LEAVE THEM ALONE! Don't try to play with your new babies until one evening after you take them home. You may sit by their cage in the evening and watch them as they wake up and explore their new surroundings, but don't start with the bonding pouch or with tent time until at least a day after you bring them home. When you do begin to bond with your little ones, take it slow, don't try to rush things and use plenty of treats to keep your gliders happy. The bonding pouch, tent time, and treats are going to be your best friend during the bonding process.

That's it! Of course, there's a lot more that goes on than this, but I wanted to give you the basics.

Take care,
Oakley

www.oakleysglidersite.com

-Basil, Mausi and Milo, Bagheera and Baloo, LF, Candy and Cane
-my puppies Snickers and Pretzel
-Chicken Nugget the horse
-AND my POSSIBLE boyfriend Wink What happens at the SGGA STAYS at the SGGA
Oakley
Dry Humpee!
Dry Humpee!

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-07-28